2005 – 2007 KTM 250 SXF FMF Q2 Installation (Manufacturer Instructions)
The FMF muffler is an aftermarket performance exhaust. They have spent countless hours of R & D and testing to ensure you receive the highest quality product on the market today. All FMF’s products are developed using the most current design and manufacturing technologies available. They use only the highest quality materials for function and durability. The muffler is constructed of an extruded aluminum canister with a stainless steel mandrel bent mid-pipe. Hi-Flo modular endcaps are fitted to both ends that utilize advanced multi stage packing material. This muffler is specifically engineered to broaden your existing powerband and give you an all-around power increase with substantial weight savings.
“Bolt on FMF performance and FEEL THE POWER.”
Please read all instructions thoroughly before installation. Failure to follow all installation instructions completely will void any FMF warranty implied or otherwise. FMF Racing will not be held responsible for problems derived from improper installation and/or improper usage. Before you begin installing this product, be sure you are wearing eye protection and gloves. You should have a complete understanding of how to remove and replace your stock exhaust otherwise have your new FMF muffler installed by a professional mechanic. Keep all stock hardware when removing your exhaust, as some components may be necessary to install the FMF exhaust depending on your application
(1) Q2 Muffler 045089 (1) Strap Bracket 940326 (1) Rubber Bracket Sleeve 900446 (1) 6mm Bolt and Nut 920140/920670 (1) 6mm x 25mm Bolt 921025 (1) Aluminum Spacer 900535
8mm Wrench 10mm Wrench Vise Grip Pliers Contact Cleaner WD-40® High Temp Silicone Spring Puller Tool
1. Make sure the engine is completely cool prior to installation and the vehicle is in a stable position.
2. Remove seat and rear fender to gain access to the muffler.
3. Using a spring puller tool, remove the spring connecting the muffler to the header.
4. While holding the muffler, loosen and remove the two (2) muffler mounting bolts.
5. Gently slide the muffler rearward disconnecting it from the header. Use WD-40 in the mid-pipe/header junction to help ease removal.
6. Install the rubber sleeve onto the strap bracket so that the rubber is on the inside of the bracket. Make sure the outer lip of the rubber is over the bracket edge fully. No rubber should be in the area where the bracket tabs pinch together.
7. Using contact cleaner, clean the section of the header where the midpipe slips over. Allow to dry then lightly coat with a bead of high temp silicone for an improved seal.
8. Slide the FMF muffler onto the header. Positioned correctly, the FMF logos should be at the 3 & 9 o’clock position when looking from the rear. Wipe off any excess silicone.
9. While supporting the muffler, install the stock exhaust spring from the muffler to the header using a spring puller tool.
10. Slide the strap bracket carefully over the muffler and position it to the rear mounting point. Be careful not to scratch the canister and make sure the “inside” sticker on the bracket is facing inward to the subframe.
11. To install the mounting bracket, use vise grip pliers to pinch the strap bracket tabs together and install the supplied 6mm x 25mm bolt with the aluminum spacer between the subframe and the bracket. The recess in the spacer goes toward the subframe. Do not fully tighten at this time.
12. Install the supplied 6mm bolt and nut in the lower hole of the strap bracket. Once installed, the 6mm bolt and nut remain intact to keep the mounting bracket in place.
13. Make sure the header and muffler are in neutral positions and not binding. Slowly tighten all mounting fasteners and clamps to specified torque specs, starting from the header and working your way back.
14. Inspect the complete exhaust to make sure there is no contact with the frame, shock spring, engine, body panels or any cables, hoses or wiring. The exhaust system should only be in contact with the exhaust port and mounting points. Confirm all controls operate in accordance with manufacturer’s specification.
15. We recommend using High temp silicone for an improved seal. Please follow instructions for the silicone and allow sufficient time to dry before starting the engine.
16. Before operating your vehicle, we recommend either stock jetting or installing our Power-Up Jet kit for optimum performance. Our jetting recommendations are to be used as a guide only and were developed based on operation at sea-level at 70 degree ambient air temperature. There are too many variables outside our control to give you exact specifications. If you’re not capable of tuning a carburetor yourself, please find a mechanic in your area. Refer to our website for additional jetting information.
17. Start the engine and bring it up to operating temperature. Check for exhaust leaks.
18. Let engine cool completely and re-torque all mounting hardware to the manufacture’rs specifications.
To clean your FMF muffler, allow to cool. Do not spray water onto a hot exhaust. Dry completely to prevent streaking. Mild soap and water is recommended on the muffler canister to reduce streaking and uneven discoloration.
We recommend repacking your FMF muffler after every 20-30 hours of normal use when properly jetted. This will maintain peak performance and keep that race tone. Water will ruin the packing. Cover the exhaust outlet when washing your machine. Repack your muffler if water gets inside and saturates the packing material. FMF offers a variety of packing materials to choose from. If your FMF muffler has a spark arrestor screen, we recommend cleaning it gently using a wire brush after every 30 hours of use.
To repack the muffler, remove the allen screws from the front of the muffler. There is no need to remove the rear endcap. Gently slide the mid-pipe and core out the front of the muffler canister. You may need to use a rubber or plastic mallet to lightly tap it out. Be careful not to damage the muffler. Unwrap the packing from the core and discard. Wrap the core with new packing and secure with two strips of 1/2” masking tape around the packing 2” from each end. Do not pack too tightly as this will hinder performance and increase the sound level. Before re-installing the inner core assembly, apply a thin layer of high temp silicone on the front endcap where it makes contact with the canister. Slide inner core assembly into canister making sure the perforated core fully seats in the rear endcap. Wipe off any excess silicone. Re-install the allen screws until snug or tighten 1/4 turn after the screw makes contact with the canister. Allow silicone to dry before starting engine.
*Disclaimer FMF Racing inspects all products prior to packaging and strives toward improving its products. Our guarantee is limited to the replacement of defective products. This limited guarantee is in lieu of all other guarantees or warranties implied or expressed. Buyer assumes all risk for any and all damage caused to himself, a third party and/or property by virtue of failure of this product. We make no warranty as to products distributed by FMF Racing, expressed or implied from our suppliers or 3rd party vendors. This includes, without limitation, any warranties or merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. All products are offered and designed for use with standard machines. FMF Racing makes no claims as to the products effectiveness on modified machines. FMF Racing is the sole determiner of abuse, misuse, installation errors and modifications. We assume no liability for any errors in listings, specifications, part numbers, prices or model applications. We reserve the right to change specifications, product descriptions, product quality, pricing and application at any time without notice and without further obligation. By installing and/or using an FMF product, you hereby accept and understand these stated terms and conditions and have followed all instructional steps.
For more information about KTM Powersports or the best powersports available in the Midwest, tons of the best OEM brands, motorcycles, personal watercrafts, atvs, utvs, scooters, parts, accessories, full-service and repair, winterization, storage options, seasonal-prep, or maintenance tips please visit our website at www.villagemotorsports.net .
#villagemotorsports #KTM #outdoorlife #racinglife #michigan #midwest #puremichigan #powersports #snowmobiles #motorcycles #UTV #ATV #scooter #rideeverywhere #oemparts #aftermarketparts #oemaccessories #aftermarketaccessories